Requirements for a standard DVA high school diploma
- TWENTY-FOUR CREDITS REQUIRED.—24
- Four credits in English Language Arts (ELA).
- Four credits in mathematics.—A student must earn one credit in Algebra I and one credit in Geometry. A student’s performance on the statewide, standardized Algebra I end-of-course (EOC) assessment constitutes 30 percent of the student’s final course grade. A student must pass the statewide, standardized Algebra I EOC assessment, or earn a comparative score, in order to earn a standard high school diploma.
- Three credits in science.—Two of the three required credits must have a laboratory component. A student must earn one credit in Biology I and two credits in equally rigorous courses. The statewide, standardized Biology I EOC assessment constitutes 30 percent of the student’s final course grade.
- Three credits in social studies.—A student must earn one credit in United States History; one credit in World History; one-half credit in economics; and one-half credit in United States Government, which must include a comparative discussion of political ideologies, such as communism and totalitarianism, that conflict with the principles of freedom and democracy essential to the founding principles of the United States.The United States History EOC assessment constitutes 30 percent of the student’s final course grade. Beginning with the 2021-2022 school year, students taking the United States Government course are required to take the assessment of civic literacy identified by the State Board of Education pursuant to s. 1007.25(4).
- One credit in fine or performing arts, speech and debate, or practical arts.—
- One credit in physical education.—Physical education must include the integration of health.
- Eight credits in electives.—School districts must develop and offer coordinated electives so that a student may develop knowledge and skills in his or her area of interest, such as electives with a STEM or liberal arts focus.
- ONLINE COURSE REQUIREMENT.—At least one course within the 24 credits required under this section must be completed through online learning.
- AWARD OF A STANDARD HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA.—A student who earns a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and meets the requirements of this section or s. 1002.3105(5) shall be awarded a standard high school diploma in a form prescribed by the State Board of Education.
- AWARD OF A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION IN LIEU OF A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA-A student who earns the required 24 credits, or the required 18 credits under s. 1002.3105(5), but fails to pass the assessments required under s. 1008.22(3) or achieve a 2.0 GPA shall be awarded a certificate of completion in a form prescribed by the State Board of Education.
**DVA students will walk with DHS students at the graduation ceremony**