What is Title 1?
Title 1 is the major component of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), passed in 1965 as part of President Lyndon B. Johnson's War on Poverty. Congress has reauthorized the Act numerous times since its enactment, making changes in focus each time. The current reauthorization of ESEA is the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), signed into law by President Barack Obama on December 10, 2015.
The School District of DeSoto County is a Title 1 District. The goal of the School District of DeSoto County's Title 1 program is to improve student achievement through:
- Effective Instruction
- Professional Development
- Parent & Family Engagement
Title 1 funds provide the following supplemental support:
- Additional personnel to support our students and teachers
- Additional classroom materials and equipment
- Tutoring - including the Community Bus Tutoring Program
- Parent & Family Engagement activities and workshops
- Additional professional development for staff