Parent and Family Engagement
The School District of DeSoto County is a Title 1 District and strives to lead students to success with the support and engagement of families in the community. Parent and Family Engagement places a strong emphasis on providing parent workshops and opportunities that foster effective partnerships between home and schools.
Joyce Epstein, Ph.D., of Johns Hopkins University, has developed a framework for effective parental involvement that includes strategies and activities from six areas. The School District of DeSoto County is committed to providing families with opportunities in all six areas:
- Parenting: Help all families establish home environments to support children as students.
- Communicating: Design effective forms of school-to-home and home-to-school communications about school programs and children's progress.
- Volunteering:Recruit and organize parent help and support.
- Learning at Home: Provide information and ideas to families about how to help students at home with homework and other curriculum-related activities, decisions, and planning.
- Decision-Making: Include families as participants in school decisions and develop parent leaders and representatives.
- Collaborating with Community: Coordinate resources and services from the community for families, students, and the school, and provide services to the community.
Parent & Family Engagement Contacts
Mary Pete Martin - Parent & Family Engagement Specialist
Phone: (863) 494-4222
Carrie Fuller - Director of Instructional Services
Phone: (863) 494-4222, Ext. 1305